Welcome to The Unofficial Bulletin Board of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to TBayBucs.com, the unofficial and independent message board of your Tampa Bay Buccaneers. You will need to register or login before you can post. If this is your first time on TBayBucs.com, you may refer to our Help Section as a reference for navigating our forums. If you need any assistance, please email us at admin@tbaybucs.com.

Go Bucs!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

We have Claiborne's former coach and passed on him

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
73 replies to this topic

#1 LABucs

LABucs

• Joined 20-December 10

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:03 PM

Could have stayed at #5 and guaranteed to get him .. instead we move back and let him go .. good riddance.

#2 Guest_PwnDepot_*

Guest_PwnDepot_*

• Joined --

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

I absolutely agree with this. OBVIOUSLY (you saw it) we went out of our way to pass on him.

#3 Wooderson

Wooderson

• Joined 06-May 10

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:13 PM

Or......we are rationalizing the fact that Dominik got played! Hard to believe he saw Dallas trading up for him. Face it, he thought he was slick and could grab an extra pick and it came back to bite us in the ***.

#4 Ken Carson

Ken Carson

• Joined 06-May 10
  • Locationin the nation's capital

The way I see it, our defense will value ball hawk corners, not blanket cover guys. Physical over finesse. Blitzing LBs forcing hot routes. Claiborne is wasted in that defense.
Posted Image

#5 Hatter

Hatter

Honor and Glory to the Lamb.....He is coming

• Joined 06-May 10
  • Location“Behold, Damascus is about to be removed from being a city" - Isaiah 17

Heard he is going to have a hard time transitioning to the NFL, coaches see what we do not.
Posted Image

#6 LABucs

LABucs

• Joined 20-December 10

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

I feel like Claiborne's hype was inflated due to a backlash of his teammate the honey badger's hype .. people were so anxious to tear TM7 down and build someone else up in an effort to be the smartest guy in the room .. When Claiborne isn't that sure of a prospect in his own right.

#7 The Truth Hurts

The Truth Hurts

• Joined 17-May 10

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

The Bucs added a CB in FA and cut a safety in the last two weeks. They telegraphed the move. Some just don't want to see it.

#8 Miller4Prez64

Miller4Prez64

• Joined 05-May 10

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:19 PM

Or.....maybe Dom bought into the Claiborne to Vikings hype and figured he wouldnt be there at 5?
Posted Image

#9 Wooderson

Wooderson

• Joined 06-May 10

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:20 PM

The Bucs added a CB in FA and cut a safety in the last two weeks. They telegraphed the move. Some just don't want to see it.

Agree but that doesnt make it the right move. When Talib is sporting his penitentiary ID # we will regret. #Justsayin

#10 Guest_PwnDepot_*

Guest_PwnDepot_*

• Joined --

"Roughly half of the Bucs' 21 assistant coaches came directly from a college job, and that has become a resource ahead of this week's draft.

The Bucs are tapping their knowledge of this class of prospects, many of whom staff members tried to recruit out of high school."

Edited by PwnDepot, 26 April 2012 - 08:20 PM.

#11 Lee63Roy

Lee63Roy

• Joined 06-May 10

Or......we are rationalizing the fact that Dominik got played! Hard to believe he saw Dallas trading up for him. Face it, he thought he was slick and could grab an extra pick and it came back to bite us in the ***.

When the Bucs traded back, they knew Claiborne was gone, I told my Cowboy loving friends(insert brokeback joke here), that we were going to snatch Barron from them at that spot...wasnt expecting Dallas to make the move, but the Bucs still got the guy they wanted

#12 bucincharlotte

bucincharlotte

• Joined 17-May 10

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:35 PM

Could have stayed at #5 and guaranteed to get him .. instead we move back and let him go .. good riddance.

this is a GREAT point. you don't take a chance and trade down if he is ALL that.

bucpj1.jpg

#13 Pantera Canes

Pantera Canes

• Joined 06-May 10
  • LocationIn Dreams

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:35 PM

Seems like they were a little stunned Dallas jumped up. Didn't the Bucs take the entire time for the pick while other teams were turning in their picks as the same team ahead of them.

Hopefully the staff coming from college does add some insight into the players. Though probably the smartest and best coach associated with the staff (Butch Davis) took William Green over his old player Clinton Portis. While I think Davis is amazing at bringing in talent it still goes to show that knowing the college kids doesn't mean you are going to make the right decision.
Posted Image

#14 sgolan

sgolan

• Joined 16-November 10

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:36 PM

We obviously didn't want him or we'd have taken him at 5. The end. Move on.

#15 Ken Carson

Ken Carson

• Joined 06-May 10
  • Locationin the nation's capital

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:41 PM

Or.....maybe Dom bought into the Claiborne to Vikings hype and figured he wouldnt be there at 5?

That's ridiculous. We moved back with the intention of drafting Barron. We traded prior to the Vikings pick because we didn't care who they took.
Posted Image

#16 BucsNDeadlifts

BucsNDeadlifts

• Joined 11-October 10

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:49 PM

Never bought into the Claiborne hype.........

#17 pewterpirates

pewterpirates

• Joined 05-May 10
  • LocationTexas

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:51 PM

That's not the point. If Claiborne is truly a can't-miss-prospect, then we have the perfect guy on staff (his position coach in college) to tell us to stay put and take him at 5 no matter what.
Posted Image

#18 Ironworker808

Ironworker808

• Joined 05-May 10
  • LocationHigh

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:56 PM

That's not the point. If Claiborne is truly a can't-miss-prospect, then we have the perfect guy on staff (his position coach in college) to tell us to stay put and take him at 5 no matter what.

Playing devil's advocate here but,

Maybe he was saying that and was overruled by Schaino, who obviously feels safety is more important to his scheme?
Posted Image

#19 BucsNBiceps

BucsNBiceps

• Joined 16-September 10

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:09 PM

This is going to get old real fast. I hope we grab every remaining college superstar in the draft, otherwise this board is going to be even more unreadable than it usually is.
Posted Image

#20 Captain Fear

Captain Fear

• Joined 06-May 10

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

Claiborne is going to bust and I'm glad we didn't take him. I liked Gilmore better and was hoping for him at 7 but Barron will do now.

#21 navybuc81

navybuc81

• Joined 06-May 10

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:19 PM

I don't think Claiborne is going to be a bust at all....I just think Barron was better suited for what we were looking for, that's all.

Can't go wrong with a dominant safety from Alabama coached by the best coach in college football. If you didn't watch the National Championship last year, you'll see why LSU couldn't throw for a yard in that game. Let's face the facts.....we do not have one good safety on this team. Sorry, Cody Grimm....but facts are facts. We went with need...and best player, in my opinion.

Edited by navybuc81, 26 April 2012 - 09:19 PM.

#22 Ironworker808

Ironworker808

• Joined 05-May 10
  • LocationHigh

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:32 PM

His former coach also played against Barron six times over the past four seasons.
Posted Image

#23 Bootz2004

Bootz2004

'The Grass Isn't Greener'- M. Dominik

• Joined 05-May 10
  • LocationSt. Petersburg, FL

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:37 PM

I knew from the start we weren't in play for Claiborne. He's not that guy that everyone wants him to be. He isn't. The fact that we have his position coach and we didn't pull the move like so many expected should tell yall something. He's not that elite corner...like I said, not even the best at his position.

#24 deltbucs

deltbucs

• Joined 06-May 10

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:47 PM

You realize that St. Louis was expected to take Claiborne before Dallas traded to their spot, right?
Posted Image

#25 TheWacoKid

TheWacoKid

• Joined 06-May 10
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:48 PM

That's ridiculous. We moved back with the intention of drafting Barron. We traded prior to the Vikings pick because we didn't care who they took.

This is the point right here. We didn't care if the Vikes (Who have been smoke-screening Claibore all week) wanted him. Tampa wanted Barron.
Posted Image

#26 BucMoney

BucMoney

• Joined 25-September 10

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:49 PM

His former coach also played against Barron six times over the past four seasons.

Good point
Posted Image

#27 maryjanewatson

maryjanewatson

• Joined 06-May 10

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:27 PM

We.
Didn't.
Want.
Him.

If we did, there's NO WAY we "get cute" and risk losing him for a 4th rounder.

OBP obviously loved Mark Barron, and did not love Morris Claiborne. Are they right? Time will tell. But I'm calling BS on the "Mark D thought we'd still get him at #7" theories right now. They make no sense.
Posted Image

#28 Buddha

Buddha

• Joined 14-March 12

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:40 PM

We.
Didn't.
Want.
Him.

If we did, there's NO WAY we "get cute" and risk losing him for a 4th rounder.

OBP obviously loved Mark Barron, and did not love Morris Claiborne. Are they right? Time will tell. But I'm calling BS on the "Mark D thought we'd still get him at #7" theories right now. They make no sense.

^^ THIS.

The Bucs obviously did not want Claiborne for whatever reason. He fell right into their laps and they were willing to pass to pickup a 4th knowing all along their guy Barron would be there at 7 and wasn't going to go at 5 or 6.

#29 maryjanewatson

maryjanewatson

• Joined 06-May 10

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:43 PM

^^ THIS.

The Bucs obviously did not want Claiborne for whatever reason. He fell right into their laps and they were willing to pass to pickup a 4th knowing all along their guy Barron would be there at 7 and wasn't going to go at 5 or 6.

I mean...I don't see any other scenario. OBP didn't like Claiborne (which is saying something considering his college coach is on our staff). And they obviously loved Barron...and so, for getting a guy we loved instead of a guy we didn't want, we recouped our 4th rounder from the Stocker trade, and then used that pick to get Doug Martin and another 4th.

Barron and Martin weren't my favorite prospects in this draft...not going to play revisionist history...but it's obvious Mark D. and Co got EXACTLY who they wanted on Thursday night, and walked away with an extra pick, too.
Posted Image

#30 Buddha

Buddha

• Joined 14-March 12

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:47 PM

I mean...I don't see any other scenario. OBP didn't like Claiborne (which is saying something considering his college coach is on our staff). And they obviously loved Barron...and so, for getting a guy we loved instead of a guy we didn't want, we recouped our 4th rounder from the Stocker trade, and then used that pick to get Doug Martin and another 4th.

Barron and Martin weren't my favorite prospects in this draft...not going to play revisionist history...but it's obvious Mark D. and Co got EXACTLY who they wanted on Thursday night, and walked away with an extra pick, too.

Very successful first day, definitely.

I like how many scouts and analysts consider Barron one of the safest picks in this draft. He doesn't have crazy upside, but as solid fundamentals to be a great starter for years to come. If he can improve his coverage a bit he could be an anchor in our defense for many years like Lynch was.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users